Tuesday 25 June 2013

Tuesday 25th June, by Amy

For my last post, I thought it would be nice to say what I've learnt about travelling in general and what I've learnt about Mamie over the past 3 months.

Main things I have learnt from this trip:

1. Throwing yourself in the deep end (North India) although rewarding, can have it's costs (one hundred pounds). For next time: don't give a taxi driver his payslip until he's taken you to your destination, always know the exchange rate, dial phone numbers yourself, don't buy any packages in India and be suspicious of EVERYTHING!
   
2. A few catfights, hangover boat trips, missing flipflop incidences, strip clubs, headaches and bruises later, I've come to the conclusion that alcohol can be more trouble than it's worth sometimes. Credit goes to Bangkok and the South of Thailand for teaching me this lesson.  
   
3. Asia has the best food in the world - it's hard to betray my love of Mediterranean food but it's true. I'm definitely going to be eating, and hopefully cooking more Indian and Thai food from now on.  
                                              
4. If you're chosing between doing something and not, do it! For us, we always reminded each other of the zipwire through Jodpur which we decided not to do and later regretted.
                                          
5. I am practically and often mentally, a little slow. This trip has made me realise, most definitely with Mamie's help, that I work at a... more chilled out pace! I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.                                                  

Things I've learnt about Mamie:

1. She is practically and often mentally, insanely fast. One of our biggest achievements, I think, is managing not to kill each other with this opposing characteristic.

2. She is silent but deadly. No more need be said.

3. She has a very big appetite, rivalling most men. Her favourite snacks from this trip were 'nepalise doughnuts', carnation covered roti pancakes - my favourite was banana and coconut - and barbecued pork buns (anything sweet basically). We both fell in love with pork buns and 7/11s.
    
4. She loves American politics...        .apparent when she chose a book called 'American politics'.   
           
5. She has high standards when it comes to boys - her demands include tongue piercings, eyebrow piercings and plenty of abbage. You must be musically talented, both instrumentally and in being a break dancer. You must have white blonde hair, a cool fashion sense and arm muscle for sure. Good luck to Mamie. 
                 
6. She has a weird thing about showers, sharing deodorant, huge crickets, little spiders, termites and leeches.

7. Her naked body. There are no boundaries when travelling.

8. The extent of her love of music... I think it's about 60 gigs she's been to...Special mention goes to (from this trip anyway) Delilah, Daley, Angel Haze and of course, JB himself. If she were to see only one more gig in her life, she would pick Pink or Michael Jackson. Bobby McFerin's gig is her favourite.
                                                    
9. Her fashion sense is crazy but amazing- I knew this already.  
                                                         
10. The extent of her feistiness. There have been a few arguments with locals along the way... and with me. A good example of her feistiness would be the night before Holi in Udaipur when the crowd surged back on us and the groping began. Whilst I was tryjng to figure out which way 'up' was and attempted to beat men off my arse, Mamie managed to hold on to me,  allowing my two feet to remain on the ground whilst shouting abuse. Another time would be the staring match with an Indian man on a train.

11. And to end on a cheesy note, she is a great travel companion. I think we're very compatible travel companions, with a very similar travelers mindset with what we want to do and how we want to go about it, and I hope to travel with her again soon :). I will miss living with jubjub mams babs.

Ams X

No comments:

Post a Comment