Thursday 11 April 2013

Thursday 11th March, 15:32, by Amy

Even with the crazy bus journeys where music plays for hours and Mamie's hair gets in my face and the not-so-good-chai, I am really loving Nepal! I'll try not to repeat what Mamie's already said but it's true, there is definitely a more relaxed atmosphere here. The stares are curious and less intense.

Highlights: elephant bathing, jungle safari (although I admit the charging rhino was terrifying - I've never climbed a tree so fast in my life), bungy jumping, canyon swing, Astam and the boys at The Nippon Guesthouse who gave us each a flower!

Astam was a really authentic, down-to-the-basics, humbling experience. It was also exhausting. We had ten inquisitive kids that we basically babysat for 24 hours. We were made to dance Nepalise style, made to play snap (which we taught them and later regretted) non-stop, woken up early and taken on an early 'morning run' and we even helped with the farming. It was a lot of fun. When the two year old, Nikita, stole and refused to give back Mamie's chanel sunglasses, the laughing stopped... at least for Mamie! Then they went off with my ipod which made me a little bit anxious myself.

I actually found the canyon swing more scary than the bungy jump I think because the rope looked pathetically thin, the pivot is very far in the distance and you free fall for longer. I'm very proud of us for not chickening out.

Miss you all. Maybe blog in just over a week when we have wifi!

3 comments:

  1. What no pics? Well not enough anyway! Tell us more-blog too short. Mum xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you refer to not wishing to repeat what Mamie would be saying but I can't see that she has posted anything yet. Very much looking forward to the next instalment - much love AW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Andrew Wilson - mum and Andrew Wilson the orginal.

    Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete